Eventsential / Engagefully

The second decade of my career focused primarily on building this product: Results Direct’s event experience platform. It grew out of some earlier one-off event apps that we built for clients like ASAE, and became a significant chunk of the company’s revenue. I was the primary iOS developer, one of a very small number of web developers, and the overall architect of the system. As well as the shared apps offered directly by RD, we also managed several dozen white label deployments of the app for our customers.

The iOS app started out as fully Objective-C, switching to primarily Swift after it had stabilized somewhat. Local data storage uses Core Data extensively, and the core features were designed to be offline-first with an eye toward often terrible conference center WiFi. The back end is an ASP.Net MVC & Web API app written in C#, running on AWS EC2 instances in Ireland.

The USA Cheeseboard

One of the last projects I worked on at Results Direct before I left, this app is a marketing tool for the US Dairy Export Council in their mission to bring cheese from the USA to the world. It’s a small app, but the abundance of high-quality food imagery was a welcome change of pace from the very functional UIs in other projects. It also gave me a chance to experiment with some different technologies like Combine and direct SQLite storage in a less risky context than our major products.


Results Direct’s first major mobile product is a client for the Higher Logic social networking platform. Sadly, it’s all but abandoned these days, but it was pretty successful when it first launched, and helped to energize the creation of a full-time mobile division at the company.

Open Source

  • ProjectCompare was a tool that I put together to compare to targets in an Xcode project. It was useful, but never kept pace with the project file format. My later take on this tool dumps the entire target configuration to JSON, and then leverages Beyond Compare (or your favorite tool) to do the diffing.
  • Once upon a time, when both the iPhone and LinkedIn were young, I helped write what I believe was the first SDK for LinkedIn’s public API (RIP).

Sadly, things on iOS move quickly enough that most of the projects I’ve contributed to are obsolete or abandoned at this point, and not very interesting even for historical purposes.